Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Wikipedia-Fund raising appeal

A post on slashdot describes Wikipedia founder making a personal appeal for donations.
Wikipedia is a very useful source of information and is of course free. I always search google for any specific term and many times the first link is Wikipedia. It is unending, bottomless free information.
I go not know whether wikipedia needs these funds to be online, but surely hope that it does not shutdown or go into oblivion remaining unupdated.
Maybe some big companies like google,yahoo,IBM donate a huge amount andd keep it alive. Cannot imagine internet without wikipedia.
Is there any other encyclopedia equivalent to wikipedia?
Wish I could donate in Rupees.
Off topic
Suddenly I wondered that if blogspot(this site)or del.icio.usor any other site became non free and started charging money or shutdown due to unavoidable circumstances, where would I blog, where will my blog posts till today go. Thinking of this I have started to search for a tool that will archive all my blog posts from all blogs to my HDD.

No comments: