Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Installing Ubuntu Dapper drake

Downloaded the Ubuntu 6.06 iso. It has become a sleek product. But after booting to the desktop and clicking on install the problems started. My pc hung when the installation asked for time zone.
I restarted it and tried to install again and this time it was taking infinity to proceed to the next screen and there was continuous disk activity of both the hdd and the cd rom drive.
A post to the lists gave an answer that this install is buggy and with RAM<300mb it does not work
My pc has 256mb of RAM.
The solution was another cd named alternate cd which had the old debian style installer.
Now i need to download this which means another day.
Ubuntu is topping all distro sites and hence I wanted to try it. I already have installed 5.10 but not used it much.

No comments: