Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Finally installed Ubuntu-with some errors

Ubuntu has been topping almost every linux site and therefore I had to install anyways. I faced some problems though.
  1. Halfway through while trying to install it from the alternate cd, my monitor went into sleep mode and I could not do anything. This means I did not know what was happening as there was no display. There was continuous cd and hdd activity to warrant that the installation was in process. I tried to reboot from the keyboard and tried everything but in vain. Finally I had to reset the pc. Assuming something went wrong during install I installed it again, this time deciding to be careful to press only the ENTER key and not reboot. The same problem was faced and it was a blind install in the last leg of install.
  2. This caused some errors like on first boot the human.xml theme could not be loaded. The login screen also was not activated by default i.e I had to press the buttons Enter to enable the username and password screen.
  3. one solution to (2) I found that the standard Gnome greeting screen worked correctly.
  4. Need to investigate the screen blanking problem as nobody has faced this issue when I posted into lists

No comments: