Friday, October 21, 2005

Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger installed

Today I installed Ubuntu 5.10 breezy badger on my home PC.
I did not fiddle around with it much. One observation I made was that the menu was slightly modified. I wanted to setup pppoeconfig to browse the net and I could not find the menu item for Terminal. It was in the accessories menu. Maybe this change is universal due to Gnome 2.10.1.
I was happy that all the drives were mounted by default and I could open a powerpoint presentation by just double clicking on the file in Linux.
I was not even aware that Oo could import the Powerpoint presentation in Impress.
Surely linux has come a long way. However I could not play a .wmv file in Totem.
Things to to do on Ubuntu
Play mp3 in XMMS (mp3 are not supported and are non free)
Play movies in totem and any other movie player
Open .rar files
Install Aureus
Run DOS emulation to play DOS games like (Digger,Paratruper,pacman etc)
play Games without emulation on linux

News
Flock the social browser has been launched. It integrates RSS and delicious into it.
Still in the beta stage I will download and try it







No comments: