Monday, August 29, 2005

Kanotix update,broadband connection thru linux

I did proceed with the kanotix install on HDD. It was a smooth install. Also was able to login tried connecting to the internet through the same but failed. I was searching for some information on the same but could not any relevant info.
Actually setting up the broad band connection is very easy and I did it on FC3 and slackware.
Y0u have to run the following commands
adsl-setup-----------------To setup
adsl-start------------------To start the connection
adsl-stop-------------------To stop the connection

If your distro does not contain these commands you may need to install these from the roaring penguin site.
Here give the username and password and enter thePrimary& alternate DNS ip addresses and everything works fine.
Only problem was that I could do it only as root.
Now I could try out yum for updating packages. First I updated Firefox to 1.06 and then installed the XMMS Mp3 plugin.
I was not much impressed at what I saw in Kanotix.
I dont know, but I do not like KDE much because of its bloat and also since I have used command line and Slackware only from the time I got hooked to linux.
I got an errorin Kanotix and the KDE desktop crashed and it partially worked when I logged in as a normal user.
I have Slackware 10.1 installed without KDE/GNOME but only Xfce and it seems to look great.
Need to do some research on blogs and how to add other's blog links to my blog etc....
I have added a counter on my blog and blocked my home ip and office ip (the only places from where I will update/post) so that visits from these ip's get excluded.
The counter has not moved since then and is at 7 which includes 6 visits by me (till the time I dicovered how to block IP's) and 1 outside visitor.
It seems that the first distro you ever use always retains you back as is in my case.
I have used slackware since 8.0 and I still prefer Slackware with its default CLI login.

1 comment:

Broadband Guy said...

Wow, I am so glad I found your blog about AT&T Yahoo DSL! I thought AT&T Yahoo DSL wasn't available here until I read Kanotix update,broadband connection thru linux the whole way through! Thanks again Nandi!