Saturday, August 20, 2005

Broadband internet !!!!!! Uh oh --Hi-speed internet & Kanotix

Finally I got a so called Broadband connection(correctly speaking it is a hi-speed connection) on my home PC. This was after trying my local cable operator 2 times without any response and even Sify who responded after 12 days. I got a connection from Exatt (through a local dealer). The speed is good. I was connected on 11/8/05.

Well the first thing I wanted to do was surf to check the surfing speed and download some large file to check the download speed. I surfed some random sites and I was getting a good speed the same which I get at my workplace and also very very fast than dial-up.
I tried to some files(3-4mb) and I could download at an average of 9 to 10KBps. This was very good. On an average I am getting a speed of 15-16KBps
I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and Azureus the Bittorrent client and downloaded the Kanotix Distro iso file. Now I browse with firefox.
It took me at least 4-5 days with 4hrs of continuous downloading (2hrs each in the morning and evening). I also wrote the ISO to a cd.
I downloaded this based on some reviews. I need to freeze on one Distro as my default os another step towards being truly open source.
I tried the live cd and it worked great but i need to try the HD Install


Some links to Kanotix
KANOTIX - Putting the Pizzazz on Debian
My workstation OS-Kanotix

Will update soon with my Kanotix experience

No comments: