Thursday, April 21, 2005

Ubuntu the top distro

Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary has been released. I cannot download it but have registered for those free cd's.
Ubuntu seems to be in the news. Atleast on Distrowatch it has become the top distro on the basis of number of hits.
I have begun visiting Distrowatch everyday and its weekly newsletter is simply great giving a synopsis of all the distros released.
There are some 400 distros around according to Distrowatch. Wonder how many people are using the least known of them.
When I installed FC3 it did not configure GRUB for Ubuntu. I couldnt run Ubuntu.
Today resolved that issue and now I am triple booting. XP/FC3/Ubuntu 4.10
My old Pc is loaded with Ubuntu and will be a Pc with free OS only. One problem I face here is that i have one keyboard, mouse and Monitor.
Well first I will try networking both these computers and then maybe sharing keyboard ,monitor and mouse.
Atleast I wish to try the major distributions nd understand the different methods of implementing the same Os.(Slackware,Gentoo,knoppix...............)
The success of Ubuntu is mainly due to the non release of a stable version of Debian for the last 2 years.
But still on IRC Debian tops the list and is only next to Gentoo(#1).
Books which I bought this year worth Rs.3500/- are lying as its is w/o being read.
Today atleast in a fit of rage I prepared draft CV with the Oracle Financials implementation part.
I was planning this since last 3 months and was successful in only writing 2 lines. Today I happen to write it in full.
I hope with this I may soon find a job.

No comments: